|Job Title:||CAA Consumer Panel Member|
|Type:||Fixed-term (From April 2018 start – 12 days per year London)|
|Salary:||Competitive day rate|
|Job Description PDF :||View Description|
The CAA Consumer Panel was set up 5 years ago to provide expert advice on how to understand the consumer interest, and is now recruiting up to five Panel Members to continue the Panel's work.
This is a great opportunity for individuals who are committed to helping the CAA fully understand, and take account of the interests of consumers in policy development and decisions. We want people who will ensure that the Panel's advice is evidence-based. We want people who can combine their expertise and experience of consumer issues with an understanding of the commercial world, and apply these in a practical way to the range of regulatory issues the CAA deals with, such as economic regulation, competition policy and consumer protection and empowerment.
The Panel wishes to attract applicants with a strong intellect, commercial acumen and the ability to understand complex economic and policy issues, while being independent in thought. Candidates should also have a deep understanding of consumers' experiences and an appreciation of how regulatory and public law processes interact with technical and commercial factors to shape real-world outcomes.
Panel members are expected to have relevant, senior-level experience, and meet most, if not all, of the following criteria:
• An understanding of, and commitment to, promoting and protecting the interests of consumers; in particular how these interests are shaped by regulation and policy;
• An ability to understand the impact of CAA policy on the aviation market;
• Ability to listen and challenge in a constructive manner, providing an objective and independent point of view;
• The ability to work as part of a team, working collaboratively and co-operatively, taking account of different perspectives as part of a collegiate decision-making process, and to take responsibility for decisions made;
• A demonstrable track record in your own field(s) appropriate to membership of a national body; experience of operating at a strategic level in the public, private and/or independent sectors;
• The ability to analyse and evaluate complex information, including qualitative and quantitative research and market data, in order to form opinions and make fair, balanced and proportionate decisions based on evidence;
• An understanding of diversity and the application of equal opportunities working in practice, including knowledge or experience of the issues facing consumers who find it difficult to get the products and services they need from 'mainstream' providers;
• Strong communication skills to make an effective contribution to the discussions of a high level public body, ideally gained from Board-level roles at a national body of a similar size and influence.
As the UK's specialist aviation regulator, we passionately believe in making aviation better for those who choose to fly and those who do not. This means using the powers and duties given to us by Parliament to help create positive outcomes that matter to people.
We see a world where everyone who chooses to fly, as well as anyone who does not, has confidence in a safe and secure aviation sector that takes its responsibilities seriously, backed by a regulatory system that actively manages risk and supports consistently high performance.
The attached document provides more detailed information about the role of the Consumer Panel, along with the roles, responsibilities and expectations of Panel members. If you feel you meet the specification and would like to join the CAA Consumer Panel, please apply online with a covering letter and cv.
Interview Dates: 1st, 5th & 7th March 2018
|Closing Date:||15th February 2018|
This position is now closed and no longer accepting applications.